Friday, June 13, 2008

In A Pickle For Dinner?

"Being the best I can be is really sucking the life out of me."~ me

Yeah...I'm exhausted. Having the kids all home 24/7 is taking a lot of energy and tons of patience. I've never been a patient person, but I'm learning out of necessity (and the will to avoid becoming one of those moms you see on the news who drown their kids.) The newness of the dietary changes have worn off and the kids are looking at me like, "Okay...it was fun for one day but enough is enough. Hand over the candy, lady!"

The chicken I had purchased had turned bad before its exp. date. What is a mother to do when the usual plan B is a quick trip to the golden arches and it is no longer an option? I seriously panicked. We were low on our food supply. I had to wrack my brain. God sent me an email in the form of a Papa John's advertisement. It offered two large pizzas for 22 dollars. The best part is....you can order whole wheat crust. I have never loved the Italians more than the moment I realized that I could still have an easy dinner option that would not ruin our whole new way of eating. The test would be whether or not the kids would actually eat a whole wheat pizza.

Three and a half pieces later, Daniel was stuffed and ready for "just a little salad." Obviously, it wasn't too nasty. I tried a piece. Honestly, it wasn't the exact same as a regular pizza crust, but it was pretty darn close! I was so pleased to see the kids scarfing down dinner, unaware of the change in crust. I learned to always have a back up plan for dinner, or the number to a pizza place that offers healthy alternatives. While I'm sure it was not organic and perfectly healthy, it was the closest thing I could get my hands on, before the natives grew hungry and restless!

I will be staying at my Grandma's house with my daughters tomorrow night. I am a little anxious to see how my husband does with the new responsibility of providing only approved foods. He cares tremendously about Daniel's health, so I'm sure he will make a full fledged effort to stick to the diet. I will leave a little note of reminders, just in case ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those already cooked chickens in the deli department at your local grocery store are fantastic. And they have different flavors, like garlic herb or bbq. Yum. Easy, quick, and delicious.

Reed said...

I love those. Unfortunately, they are full of not so great ingredients. I am forced to cook plain, unflavored whole chicken, now.

Happy Mommy said...

Kadi, did the pizza have soy cheese too??